Titan Guardians AoE Grimlock by Firestorm
Summary: Review of the non-transforming Transformer.
Categories: Transformers: Age of Extinction Movie Characters: None
Genre: Toy Review
Location: Library
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 406 Read: 347 Published: 16/10/14 Updated: 16/10/14

1. Titan Guardians AoE Grimlock by Firestorm

Titan Guardians AoE Grimlock by Firestorm

            A few years back, someone at Hasbro had an idea: the “Titan” class of figures. The first such figures were 12-inch pieces with five points of articulation and a degree of sculpted and painted detail, at least on the front. This made the figures the same size as Barbie dolls, allowing Hasbro to directly compete with rival Mattel. And although the figures lacked articulation and (in some instances) accessories, they were large enough to where some people at least didn’t notice how little they were getting as opposed to the smaller yet better-articulated figures who usually had some sort of accessories.

            The Star Wars and Marvel Heroes Titan-class figures were well-received. The Transformers and G. I. Joe figures not so much, with some of the first few waves of G. I. Joe Titan-class figures still clogging shelves at individual retailers. Despite this, Hasbro has not only decided to continue producing Titan-class figures for Transformers but to expand the line beyond the original 12-inch size category. Thus, we have the 16-inch Titan Guardian category.

            As one of the tallest figures we’ve ever had in the North American line, Grimlock looks quite imposing by comparison to the smaller figures, especially with his balled fists and plethora of spikes. He’s molded in solid grey plastic, but has gold and blue paint highlights on his front side. He has a goodly amount of sculpted detail on him, including what appear to be dinosaur heads on his shoulders. Indeed, he looks every bit the menacing bruiser.

            So how did it all go so wrong?

            To begin with, let us consider his sculpted armor. Due to the way his neck piece is designed, he really cannot turn his head. As such, he only has four points of truly usable articulation instead of five. And because his fists are closed up into balls, he cannot actually hold anything. Adding insult to injury, the pictures I’ve seen of the 12-inch Titan Hero class Grimlock has him with open fists, a weapon he can hold in those fists, and a more modest piece of neck armor that I doubt will likewise restrict his neck movement. The smaller version’s detailing is less sharp and the spikes have been rounded off, but on the whole it appears to offer more bang for the buck.

            As such, I can’t give a rating without giving a really negative one.

This story archived at http://www.transformersfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=5308