1-2-3 Transformers Rescue Roy by Firestorm
Summary: Review of the Transformers / Tonka hybrid.
Categories: Transformers: Gobots Characters: None
Genre: Toy Review
Location: Library
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 417 Read: 481 Published: 31/10/13 Updated: 31/10/13

1. 1-2-3 Transformers Rescue Roy by Firestorm

1-2-3 Transformers Rescue Roy by Firestorm

            I’ll admit that I’ve actually had this guy tucked away in my collection for a few years now. I first got him loose at a charity garage sale, and as he said “Tonka” on the front I initially presumed that he wasn’t quite a Transformer. This changed when I got to looking at something unrelated, and after a few links came to his page on TF Wiki.net. Oops.

            The 1-2-3 line of Transformers, released via Tonka rather than Hasbro, was meant to provide kids with Transformers that were “kid-friendly” in both transformation and function; specifically, all five entries in the assortment were rescue vehicles, indicating that the robots themselves were likely rescue personnel rather than combatants (in that sense, the line could be considered the precursor for Rescue Bots). Among the five, Rescue Roy has two honors: the first to be released, and the biggest of the five by far. In both his robot and his fire truck mode, he’s on par with some of the larger current figures, like DOTM Shockwave and DOTM Skyhammer, in terms of size.

            So what do we get for his being so big? How about electronics? In fact, his entire rear deck – which becomes his backpack in robot mode – is a single mass of speakers (sirens, mechanical noises, and phrases) and batteries that also houses a set of spring-loaded wings, enabling him to “fly” in robot mode; note that the wings are made out of clear plastic and as such are rather fragile (mine was already missing a wing when I bought him, which may well have been why he was being sold). He also has lights that go on in his cab section / torso & head to go along with the sounds. Be warned, though, that the figure is sensitive; he’s only supposed to sound when buttons are pressed or he transforms, but I’ve had him make sounds just by handling him.

            This leads me to the final assessment of the figure. On one hand, he’s got a lot of neat little bits to keep little kids interested in him, a base concept that they can understand, and a simple enough transform (the titular three-step process) that they could hypothetically transform him without adult supervision. On the other hand, his wings need watching and the noise gimmick can potentially get old fast. I’ll leave it up to you all to decide as to whether or not that makes him worth it. Rating: none.

This story archived at http://www.transformersfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=5256