Dave's Japanese Transformers Rant: MyClones by Dave_Van_Domelen
Summary: A review of Arcee, Grimlock, Jazz, Soundwave, Starscream, Trypticon, Ultra Magnus and Wreck-Gar.
Categories: Japanese Generation One Characters: None
Genre: Toy Review
Location: Library
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 952 Read: 798 Published: 16/01/04 Updated: 16/01/04

1. Dave's Japanese Transformers Rant: MyClones by Dave_Van_Domelen

Dave's Japanese Transformers Rant: MyClones by Dave_Van_Domelen

Dave's Japanese Transformers Rant: MyClones

Well, a friend sent me a MyClone as part of a trade a while back, and recently I found that SmallBluePlanet.com had singles for a reasonable price ($5-6 for known ones), so I grabbed a few.

I'm going to break with my usual format here, since I don't really plan to say too much about each one, and prices are pretty variable on these right now.

MyClones are essentially Takara's answer to Kubricks, little SD figures inspired by Lego figures, but bigger. Takara has several lines of MyClones, which can be seen at http://www.takaratoys.co.jp/myclone/index2.html (including Microman). They use a combination of common core and limb pieces and unique heads, chestplates and other details. They tend to be about 2.5" (6cm) tall and moderately superdeformed. Each comes with a hexagonal base, and the bases link together. Not all of them can peg to their own bases, although the ones that can't are non-humanoid (Grimlock, Prime's vehicle mode).

The shoulders and hips are usually limited ball joints, with hinged elbows, turning wrists and turning peg knees. The waists and heads also turn. Some figures have less poseability, and I'll note that.

There are three assortments of Transformers MyClones that I've bought figures from. The first two come in rectangular boxes and retail for 380 yen, and the third come in hexagonal boxes for 480 yen. Drawings of Optimus Prime and Rodimus Prime grace the front of the first two box types, and a photo of the Jazz MyClone is on the front of the third set's box. All are "blind" assortments, meaning you get random choices, although many places will open the box, see what's in it, then tape it closed for sale.

Each box lists the names of the toys in the assortment in both Japanese and English. Here's the listings.

Asst 1: Convoy (Optimus Prime), Megatron, Starscream, UltraMagnus, Arcee, Convoy Trailer Mode (Prime truck mode).

Asst 2: Rodimus Convoy (Rodimus Prime), Galavatron (sic), Wreck-Gar, Bumble (Bumblebee), Grimlock, Soundwave.

Asst 3: Meister (Jazz), Lamboru (Sideswipe), Alert (Red Alert), Metroplex, Ramjet, Thrust, Dirge, Dinosaurer (Trypticon).

Assortment 3 has more figures, but they aren't any bigger or more detailed, so it's probably just a price increase to account for inflation or something.

And now for comments on the individual ones I got, in alphabetical order for the heck of it.

Arcee: White base, figure is 6.3cm tall. Has only one standard piece, her torso. The rest of her bits are all unique to her (among the ones I have), including a more feminine pelvis piece and forearms with non-turning wrists. Unfortunately, they made a bad choice in putting her shoulder wings on her shoulders instead of in a backpack piece. She just looks wrong.

Grimlock: Gray base, 5.4cm tall. Also mostly unique pieces, and it has the torso chunk sideways. Unfortunately, mine is really loose, and even after cleaning off all the mold release oil it doesn't hold together very well. Looks good as a chibi Grimlock, though. Has no peg-holes in the feet, so the base isn't much use. Hips are limited ball joints, but the little forearms are pegged in. The new waist turns.

Jazz: White base, 6.0cm tall. Full poseability, and one of the few with a backpack piece. A little loose, but cleaning with soap and water helped some. His head looks...not quite right. Too much vertical stretching to really be chibi ("Child Body", superdeformed). Has a gun as part of his right hand.

Soundwave: Dark blue base, 6.3cm tall. Full poseability, has a removable missile launcher on the shoulder, but no gun. Looks good in a chibi sense, like he stepped out of one of Matt Nelson's Superdeformer strips. If you only want to get one or two MyClones, get this one.

Starscream: Red base, 6.0cm tall. I actually didn't order this one, it was in the box of the first Arcee I ordered, oops. Still, it's pretty nice, with good joints, a nice wing unit and arm guns that don't fall off. The head doesn't look quite right, though. I think it's because it's normal proportions, just big for the body (as opposed to the big-eyes small-mouth look of proper superdeformers). Full poseability.

Trypticon: Teal base, 7.5cm from snout to tail tip. This one has a LOT of extra pieces, since it's non-humanoid. It has a backpack with separate guns, and a separate piece for his little chest car thing. One of the looser figures I got, though, and pieces fall off really easily. Head turns (unlike Grimlock), forearms are pegged on, lower legs ball jointed. Tail chunk can turn, but the waist is constrained by the backpack and car. It does have peg holes in the feet (unlike Grimlock), but the stance is too wide to use the base.

Ultra Magnus: Red base, 6.8cm tall. Full poseability, plus movable shoulder rocket pieces. Unlike any of the others I have, his boots are made of two separate pieces, the main part and then side walls for the vehicle kibble. Nicely chibi head. long with Soundwave, one of the best ones of the batch I have.

Wreck-Gar: Red base, 6.7cm tall. Full poseability, has an axe as part of the right hand. Eyes are a bit small, but the head doesn't look wrong in the way Starscream's does. Wheels on elbows don't spin, but are removable. One of my looser figures.

I have all eight bases linked together, although Trypticon stands off his base because he won't fit in next to everyone. And Grimlock just sort of wedges between his neighbors, since he can't peg on.

Dave Van Domelen, knows at least one person's making picfics with these guys....

This story archived at http://www.transformersfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=2637