Dark Matrix - II by Neale_Davidson
Summary: With Apache dead, Galvatron moves on to deal with his true nemesis, Lio Convoy. The Maximal may have his own problems, however, his own matrix is becoming corrupted with the rising hatred within the Maximal commander.
Categories: Beast Wars II Characters: None
Genre: Drama
Location: Library
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3856 Read: 940 Published: 08/09/02 Updated: 08/09/02

1. Dark Matrix - II by Neale_Davidson

Dark Matrix - II by Neale_Davidson

Act One

The Auntie Program fails to detect MOON's sudden appearance next to ARTEMIS. Within the great ship, the Ark, ARTEMIS looks downcast, remaining quiet. The innocuous-looking rabbit-form steps carefully over to his partner, looking quietly to her.

Moon He was here?

Artemis (softly) Yes.

MOON waits expectantly for ARTEMIS to continue. She sighs, looking to him first, then looking away, unsure if she can face her long-time friend.

Artemis (sighing) Starscream and I talked. I don't know if I got through to him.

Moon It's hard to judge. He's already in battle. The Maximals are attacking what's left of the Predacon forces.

Artemis I know. How goes the battle?

Moon

(quietly) There is a spark going offline.

ARTEMIS looks panicked a moment, then closes her optics. MOON steps forward, watching her carefully as she takes in several long, practiced breaths. Finally, shaken still, she opens her optics again and looks to the distance within the Ark, where the fallen Autobots and Decepticons still sleep.

Artemis (softly) It's not him.

Moon No, it isn't.

Artemis I wish I could say that I was relieved, but I feel that something far worse is going to happen, Moon.

GALVATRON's blast fills the sky with white-hot power. APACHE's frame melts and chars from the intense heat, but he manages to block most of the assault away from his wounded leader, LIO CONVOY. LIO JUNIOR, SANTON, and SKYWARP stand stunned as they watch this great offensive power devastate one of their own.

Lio Junior (panicked) Apache!

APACHE screams out, then falls limp as the blast finally fades. Where there is left of him is merely burned metal. All his outer shell is melted away, reducing him to ruin. There is a long moment of silence as the Maximals and GALVATRON each take in the strength of his attack.

Galvatron Fool, sacrificing yourself to save your leader.

Lio Convoy (stunned) Apache – no –

Trembling with rage, LIO JUNIOR finally has had enough. Easily freeing himself from SANTON's grasp, he rushes forward to the Predacon leader, weapon in hand.

Lio Junior (enraged) You monster! How could you?

It is now GALVATRON's turn to be surprised as the youth leaps at him and kicks solidly into GALVATRON's chest. GALVATRON staggers and stumbles back, taken off-balance. Though he grabs at LIO JUNIOR, the attack is successful. GALVATRON falls from the cliff side, slamming hard into the rocks below. For a moment, the Predacon leader, is down, but the moment is short lived. GALVATRON stands slowly, narrowing his optics at the young Maximal above him.

Galvatron (scowling) Dare you interfere, boy? Hasn't the death of your friend been enough warning?

Lio Junior You'll pay for what you've done. I swear it.

Galvatron Come get me, boy. If you Maximals are so quick to die, then I must oblige you.

Lio Junior Santon, Skywarp, this ends. Transform, and merge upon me.

LIO JUNIOR doesn't wait for their response, and begins his transformation. SANTON and SKYWARP each follow suit, wrapping around their comrade and linking together in a complex transformation to result in the towering and powerful MAGNABOSS.

Magnaboss To the end!

GALVATRON braces as the powerful Magnasword comes bearing down on him. As the two powerful Transformers begin their engagement, LIO CONVOY weakly struggles to stand. He clutches his damaged chest, slowing making his way to his fallen friend, given pause as he sees the damage done.

Lio Convoy (whispering) Oh, Cybertron.

LIO CONVOY reaches down, pulling APACHE's form up to him slightly. The Maximal commander lowers his head, closing his optics tightly, as if to wish the image of APACHE's near destruction away from reality.

Apache (weakly) Lio – you're all right.

Lio Convoy (softly) Apache.

Apache (weakly) I'm sorry, Lio. I tried to protect you. I always tried –

Lio Convoy (softly) I know, Apache. You've been very brave.

Apache (weakly) I can't do it anymore. I feel the Matrix. I'm going home.

LIO CONVOY trembles slightly as APACHE's form sinks. He lets out a pained breath, fighting back the emotions beginning to refuel him. LIO CONVOY struggles, holding up APACHE tighter, not wanting to let his old friend go so soon.

Lio Convoy It's not over yet. We still have to fight, Apache.

Apache (weakly) Not – for me. Take care of the others for me, Lio. Please.

APACHE's tattered face looks to LIO CONVOY one last time. LIO CONVOY can merely nod weakly as his comrade's optics flicker out and fade for the last time. APACHE falls limp into LIO CONVOY's arms, finding his peace.

Lio Convoy (whispering) Apache, no.

LIO CONVOY gently lowers APACHE back down to the ground. Something within the Maximal commander stirs, and his own injuries and weakness is forgotten. His matrix glows a fresh and bright as a new, dark resolve passes through every fiber of the Maximal's being. LIO CONVOY stands again, opening his optics once more. They are glowing a fierce red. Only one name is now on his mind.

Lio Convoy (grim) Galvatron.

GALVATRON moves aside, narrowly escaping the incensed MAGNABOSS's powerful blade. Behind him, THRUST and DIRGE leap from their positions near SCUBA and BIG HORN, avoiding harm's way as the two powerful combatants continue their grim course.

Magnaboss You're running over your own troops, Galvatron.

Galvatron What do I care when victory is so close at hand?

GALVATRON leaps up again, and once more the white blast of raw power erupts from his chest. This time, however, MAGNABOSS is more prepared for it and leaps away from the assault. Ground, trees, and rock are shattered as the intense blast ravages the countryside.

Galvatron You cannot dodge me forever, Maximal. My matrix will find its mark.

As if to illustrate his point, GALVATRON quickly lets loose his serrated wings. The blades rush at MAGNABOSS, forcing the giant Maximal to block them and lose his own attacks. GALVATRON staggers a moment as he clutches the orb in his chest.

Magnaboss So, even this great power of yours has its limits.

Galvatron (scowling) Limits beyond what you can endure.

GALVATRON rears back, taking to the skies again and firing yet another blast from the gem in his chest. The blast cuts through the foliage at MAGNABOSS, who leaps away and quickly tries to keep from the weapon's path. As he runs, however, he comes dangerously close to where SCUBA, DIVER, BB, STARSCREAM, THRUST, DIRGE, BIGHORN, and KID are in battle. It is THRUST who first sees the danger, however, as the energy beam moves towards him. He turns, terror in his eyes.

Thrust (worried) Galvatron! No!

But the words come too late. The blast arcing to MAGNABOSS strikes the Predacon flyer first, and THRUST is engulfed in terrible power. THRUST screams out, and falls to his knees before a stunned gathering of combating warriors. DIRGE, STARSCREAM, and BB cease their fighting as GALVATRON ignores him, still intent on his Maximal prey.

Dirge (worried) What in the slag was that? He hit -

Starscream He's using the Matrix. It's controlling him.

Scuba No kidding. What did you think he was going to do?

DIRGE, terrified, runs over to THRUST and finds his remains. A smolten lump or metal barely recognizable as a transformer is all that remains. Still, the optics remain alit, flickering as THRUST struggles to keep alive.

Dirge (hesitant) It was an accident. A fellow Predacon wouldn't –

DIRGE looks down, still shocked, as STARSCREAM, DIVER, BB, and SCUBA each join him. For the moment, the ferocity of the battle between these players has passed. The violence of Galvatron's actions has given them each pause.

Starscream (quietly) Like the Autorollers, Dirge. Galvatron killed them as well.

Dirge (distant) They betrayed him. They were traitors. They deserved what they -

Scuba They just knew what would happen before you did. How long before another accident claims you?

DIRGE cannot answer that easily, and takes in a long breath. DIVER smirks, looking back to where GALVATRON continues to assault MAGNABOSS, with the giant still maneuvering to wear down his aggressive enemy. DIRGE took looks at the fight, shaking his head.

Diver Face it, Dirge. You're nothing to Galvatron anymore.

Scuba Worse than that. You're in his way.

The battle with GALVATRON still rages, and MAGNABOSS stumbles at last. He turns, bringing up his sword as GALVATRON reforms to dragon mode and lands harshly, knocking sword from hand and MAGNABOSS on his back. The dragon pins down both of MAGNABOSS's arms, then narrows his optics.

Galvatron A good hunt, Magnaboss. I'm almost impressed.

Magnaboss (scowling) I'm flattered.

Galvatron (smirking) It's over now.

GALVATRON rears back, ready to tear into his would-be prey. But another great blast rushes in from the distance. GALVATRON is hit hard, sent flying back and spiraling as white-hot flames rush over his body. Sprawled out, GALVATRON returns to robot mode, standing slowly.

Galvatron (shaken) Who –

GALVATON looks up to the distance. There, standing bathed in lavender, black, and violet, a darker form of LIO CONVOY stands ready to face him.

Act Two

MAGNABOSS separates into his three members as SCUBA and BIG HORN rush over to check upon him. As LIO JUNIOR separates from his comrades, he looks to the dark version of his father standing nearby, seething with dark energies.

Lio Junior (quietly) Father?

Scuba What's happened to him? Lio –

LIO JUNIOR looks as his father steps past them, clenching his fists tightly and looking with murderous intent towards the slowly rising GALVATRON. The darker colors, red optics, and look of raw hatred gives LIO JUNIOR pause. What has happened is all too obvious.

Lio Junior (quietly) His matrix has been corrupted.

Scuba You mean – he's like Galvatron?

Santon (quietly) Yes.

SCUBA looks over with worry to the corrupted LIO CONVOY. The Maximal commander opens fire again with his own Matrix, and GALVATRON is once more sent flying. This time, however, GALVATRON spins and transforms to his daunting dragon form, breathing fire quickly to get LIO CONVOY at bay.

Galvatron You feel it, don't you?

Lio Convoy (scowling) Feel what, Galvatron?

Galvatron The hatred. The rage. You feel it burning in your circuits.

GALVATRON arcs around, breathing flame once more into LIO CONVOY's dark hide. LIO CONVOY growls out, letting loose with his missiles, slamming him hard with shot after shot until GALVATRON is forced to break away once more.

Lio Convoy (icy) How many more, Galvatron?

LIO CONVOY rushes forward, tackling the dragon and crashing them both into the ground. GALVATRON returns to his robot mode and kicks off LIO CONVOY, but the Maximal commander is undaunted, firing at point-blank range and sending the Predacon matrix-bearer hard into the cliff wall.

Lio Convoy (growling) How many more lives must be destroyed to satiate your hunger?

Galvatron (smirking) Isn't it obvious?

GALVATRON takes his turn and opens up once more with his matrix. LIO CONVOY is washed in the dark matrix energy, but uses his own to absorb the powerful blast. Eventually, though, LIO CONVOY's power falters, and he's sent smashing through trees and brush as the concussion knocks him harshly back.

Galvatron Until every last one of you has been destroyed!

Starscream (voice) You've destroyed enough, Galvatron.

GALVATRON looks up, surprised at the sudden re-appearance of STARCREAM. In their jet modes, the Predacons STARSCREAM, BB, and DIRGE rush down and open fire on their former leader. GALVATRON hisses out as shot after shot slams into him, but he does not yet relent.

Galvatron Traitors! Do you wish to share the Autorollers' fate?

Dirge (grim) The only traitor to the Predacons here, Galvatron, is you.

DIRGE follows up his words with his firepower. But, this time, GALVATRON has finally had enough and turns and lets loose more of his missiles. Even as STARSCREAM and BB continue to rush down, shells rip through DIRGE, ripping him into pieces.

Galvatron (growling) Fools. I have no need for you anymore.

As GALVATRON takes aim on the approaching STARSCREAM and BB, LIO JUNIOR and SCUBA each rush over to the wounded LIO CONVOY. The Maximal command slowly returns to a stand as his Matrix heals over the damage he's sustained so far.

Scuba Easy. Your damage –

Lio Convoy (annoyed) My damage isn't important. Why aren't you attacking Galvatron?

Lio Junior Diver and the others are already getting in position. We were worried about you.

LIO CONVOY roughly grabs LIO JUNIOR and lifts him up, optics blazing brilliantly. SCUBA steps back, more than a little worried.

Lio Convoy (snapping) Child, I have the matrix. All that matters now is that Galvatron is destroyed.

LIO CONVOY tosses his son aside and narrows his optics at the battle in the distance. DIVER and KID each quickly use their beast-modes to assault GALVATRON, though to little effect. When GALVATRON shakes them off, however, BIG HORN rams the Predacon leader, knocking him back right into STARSCREAM and BB's cannon fire. GALVATRON hisses out as pain finally registers through him.

Galvatron (growling) Enough of this. I am Galvatron! Anyone who dares strike me – dies!

To illustrate his point, GALVATRON opens up once more with his Matrix blast. This time, it is BB that suffers the brunt of the assault. His wings melt away as the energy shatters his cockpit, then pieces of his armor. STARSCREAM arcs away, returning to robot mode as he watches his closest comrade crumble before the onslaught.

Starscream (worried) BB! No!

Galvatron How touching, Starscream. For once you show concern for someone other than yourself.

STARSCREAM scowls and turns to GALVATRON, bringing up his rifles and opening fire. This time, however, GALVATRON is protected from this attack, and merely smirks at the effort.

Galvatron You've served your intended purpose, Starscream. And I have seen enough of your betrayals.

GALVATRON fires off his Matrix blast yet again, this time wrapping STARSCREAM's form into the assault. The once-immortal STARSCREAM screams out, trying to find escape, but there is none. As with the others, armor and trim rip away to leave a burning, melting frame. STARSCREAM falls near BB, smoke trailing his descent.

Galvatron (smirking) All too easy.

Amused with his triumph, GALVATRON returns his attention to the gathering of stunned Maximals nearby. SANTON, SKYWARP, BIG HORN, DIVER, and KID each stand in their robot modes, weapons already at the ready.

Galvatron And now, Maximals. It's seems that you are all that are left to destroy.

Kid (defiant) We're not going to be that easy, Galvatron.

Big Horn Maximals, open fire!

At BIG HORN's order, the group of five unleash everything they can at their enemy. GALVATRON, however, remains undaunted, and starts moving forward through the barrage, taking the nicks and cuts in his armor as he does.

Diver (nervous) He's not even slowing down.

Big Horn Keep on him. That armor has to crack sometime.

Diver (worried) Maybe we should retreat? We can't beat him like this!

Skywarp There's no place left to retreat to. We have to make our stand now.

Galvatron Brave words, girl. Brave – and foolish.

GALVATRON rears back, ready to unleash his Matrix blast yet again, but this time he's stopped. Another Matrix blast smashes into him from the side. GALVATRON, now wounded, turns with surprise to see the darker LIO CONVOY, SCUBA, and LIO JUNIOR returning to the fray.

Galvatron (wincing) So, you yet live, Lio Convoy?

Lio Convoy (firmly) This ends, Galvatron.

GALVATRON starts to right himself, but LIO CONVOY opens his power again, sending attack after attack into the Predacon transformer. At first, GALVATRON defends himself with is own power, but it proves to be not enough. Smoke and flames start to pour from GALVATRON's tattered hide.

Lio Convoy You will pay for your deeds, Galvatron.

LIO CONVOY fires one last time into GALVATRON, sending him sprawled on the ground. The Predacon leader, for once, is defeated, but he merely smiles at the approaching LIO CONVOY.

Lio Convoy There will be no retreat this time.

Galvatron (smirking) There doesn't need to be, Lio Convoy. I don't have to be the one to fulfill destiny now. You'll do just as well.

Lio Convoy What are you saying?

Scuba (quietly) Your matrix.

LIO CONVOY is given pause, and turns to SCUBA and LIO JUNIOR, who each look upon their leader with worry. Carefully, LIO JUNIOR approaches his father, nodding his head.

Lio Junior He's right. Your matrix is just as corrupt as his.

Lio Convoy (snapping) That's not possible!

Scuba Look at yourself, Lio. That matrix turned your anger over Galvatron into something terrible.

Lio Convoy (growling) I said that isn't possible!

LIO CONVOY backhands SCUBA, knocking him back onto has backside. Stunned, SCUBA looks on to his leader, but LIO CONVOY has already refocused his attention elsewhere. Wounded and battered, GALVATRON has managed to return to a stand.

Galvatron Oh, it's possible. Even your dear son knows the truth. I've won, Lio Convoy. I've won a greater victory than even killing you.

With that, GALVATRON leaps back and starts his retreat. LIO CONVOY opens up firing at GALVATRON, but this time fails to connect. He scowls, trembling in rage as he returns to LIO JUNIOR and SCUBA.

Lio Convoy (hissing) You – you distracted me. You let him get away!

Lio Junior (surprised) What?

Lio Convoy (icy) You will suffer for this mistake, child. You will suffer greatly.

As the others look on, SCUBA and LIO JUNIOR step back as LIO CONVOY narrows his optics, the Dark Matrix still commanding him to fight and destroy.

Act Three

In the smoke and ash of the battle-torn jungle, a violet LIO CONVOY stands opposite of the Maximals, optics narrowed as he regards them. LIO JUNIOR, and SCUBA stand ready as the other Maximals look on with worry.

Diver He wouldn't - would he?

Kid (grim) There's no telling what he'll do right now.

Diver (worried) But – we're his friends. He wouldn't attack us, after all we've been through.

Kid He's not the one in control, Diver.

LIO JUNIOR narrows his optics, and steels himself. The darker LIO CONVOY seems still at the ready to attack, but he still holds back, unable to commit to the action.

Lio Junior This has to stop, father. We're not your enemies.

Lio Convoy (snapping) You just want this power. You've wanted the easy victory – even if it meant Apache's life!

Lio Junior That's not true!

Lio Convoy You can't have the power of the Matrix. It's too dangerous.

Lio Junior (quietly) Father.

LIO JUNIOR steps carefully forward to LIO CONVOY. SKY WARP instinctively reaches out to stop her comrade, but SANTON holds her hand, shaking his head. SCUBA, quietly, clutches tighter onto his boomerang, watching the scene with grim interest.

Lio Convoy (biting) You cannot know –

Lio Junior (calmly) I do know, father. I know you're hurting. I know how angry you are at what's happened.

LIO CONVOY is given pause, staggering back and lowering his optics. The brilliant coloring of his armor fades and flickers, starting to revert to his more common white. LIO JUNIOR steps close now, looking at his father with concern.

Lio Convoy (distant) Apache –

Lio Junior Your matrix is feeding off the pain, father.

Lio Convoy (quietly) He was my friend, son. He was –

LIO CONVOY finally collapses as the last of the dark energy falls from him. He looks up with pained optics at LIO JUNIOR. Tentatively, the younger Maximal reaches out and takes his father's shoulder into his hand.

Lio Junior (quietly) It's all right now. It's over.

Lio Convoy I've lost Apache. How could I fail him like this?

Lio Junior It's not your fault, father.

LIO JUNIOR embraces his father, and the battle is over. SCUBA, DIVER, SANTON, SKYWARP, KID, and BIG HORN each step away, beginning their long trek to return to base. SCUBA pauses, watching the two Maximals a moment before stepping away from them again.

Lio Convoy (quietly) I'm sorry.

LIO JUNIOR stands once more and looks around him. The remains of the four Predacon flyers lie scattered around in the ash and ruin. He takes in a breath, shaking his head slowly.

Lio Junior I suppose today qualifies as a victory. It really doesn't feel like it, does it?

Lio Convoy (quietly) I was so worried about Galvatron losing control of his matrix, I never thought I would lose control of mine – be so corrupted.

Lio Junior It's not your fault. You felt the way any of us would have felt. But at least you beat the Predacons.

Lio Convoy (grim) Apache's dead.

LIO JUNIOR can't easily counter that would good news. He merely turns to where the fallen Maximal remains, and lowers his optics. LIO CONVOY draws in a long, pained breath, standing once more finally as he composes himself.

Lio Convoy As terrible as that is, I think I've lost something even more today.

Lio Junior (softly) I know. But for now, you go home and get some rest. We'll deal with that in the morning.

LIO JUNIOR transforms, returning to his lion mode, and starts to pad off after the other Maximals. LIO CONVOY looks back to Apache's remains, and lowers his optics sadly for a moment.

Lio Convoy (softly) Good-bye, old friend.

He turns again, and transforms to his beast mode, slowly padding off after his son. LIO JUNIOR stops, giving his father time to reach him. The elder lion hesitates, but comes alongside his son, then regards him a long moment.

Lio Convoy Thank you, son, for having faith in me.

Lio Junior

Whatever's happened to your Matrix, I know your spark is still pure.

Lio Convoy (distantly) I wish I could be as sure.

As the two take their leave, a large dark form emerges slowly from behind the mountains. GIGASTORM's base mode slides into position above the battle-site. Inside, GIGASCOUTER watches the two Maximal lions head off into the distance.

Gigascouter Interesting, even the Maximal's Matrix can be corrupted.

Gigastorm (voice) A useful piece of information, and a reminder of the danger that we face.

Gigascouter And Galvatron?

Gigastorm (voice) He has left scanning range. The injuries he sustained will take time for him to heal on his own.

Gigascouter Giving us time to prepare.

GIGASCOUTER presses a single button on his command console, ordering GIGASTORM's systems to begin their work. Four beams of light reach out from the base, and wrap onto the four fallen Predacon jets. Slowly, the jet forms rise up in the light, along with dust and debris.

Gigascouter (quietly) Are you sure this is wise?

Gigastorm (voice) We need them, and with an infusion of dark Angolmois, they will be powerful enough to face both Galvatron and Lio Convoy.

Gigascouter (distant) What will it do to them, I wonder?

Gigastorm (voice) We shall learn soon enough.

The four jets reach GIGASTORM's base mode, which opens up to receive them. STARSCREAM, BB, THRUST, and DIRGE are each swept inside. GIGASTORM turns away from the scene, and heads out into the distance, leaving the battlefield behind.

ARTEMIS and MOON's rabbit mode are in Nexus Zero once again, floating within ribbons of energy. While this is their home, each time they visit it becomes more and more alien to them. ARTEMIS waits with nervous anticipation as MOON looks on with worry.

Moon (quietly) It's over. The jets are destroyed, and Galvatron will take months to recover from his wounds.

Artemis (quietly) I've lost Starscream, Moon. I thought I could reach him. I thought I had reached him.

Moon He was lost to himself before you even knew him.

ARTEMIS shoots MOON a dirty look, but resigns quickly and looks even more downcast. With more than a little guilt, MOON glides over to his friend, and leans affectionately against her.

Moon (quietly) Maybe you did reach him, Artemis.

ARTEMIS is about to reply to that when the pair are interrupted. Two Vok sparks appear from the mists, and manifest themselves in front of them. Neither look too pleased, and both ARTEMIS and MOON draw back, bracing themselves.

Vok #1 This is your report?

Artemis (nervous) Yes. The Predacons have been defeated. Galvatron is severely damaged. Only Gigastorm remains.

Vok #2 The Predacons are no longer the issue. The contamination is now beyond recovery.

ARTEMIS pauses, looking at the two Vok forms with some worry. She 'floats' closer to them, now looking very unsure.

Artemis (surprised) How can you say that?

Vok #1 Even the matrix of Lio Convoy has become corrupted.

Vok #2 If a pure matrix can become corrupted, then the whole of the Matrix is in danger.

Vok #1 We will not allow this contamination to spread.

Artemis (pleading) But the battles are over. The remaining Transformers –

Vok #2 They are irrelevant. The damage has been done.

ARTEMIS's optics widen with terror as the two Vok sparks pass their judgment.

Vok #1 We will dispatch our final agent soon.

Artemis No! Please!

Vok #2 To preserve the purity of the Matrix, all life on Earth will be destroyed.

ARTEMIS falls quiet, unable to speak. As the two Vok forms fade, a large, monstrous shape emerges from the Nexus's mists. She falls agape, seeing the final warrior of the Vok for the first time.

Not the End.

This story archived at http://www.transformersfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=1075